Kasperson Week 5!
I hope you are all doing well! I can’t believe next week will be the hybrid schedule added in! Please be patient with yourselves and with me as we navigate this transition. It’s not going to go perfectly but we will keep moving forward!
Today we had the HOUSE SORTING event which was so much fun! Students were sorted into one of four different houses in which they will compete against each other throughout the year in the areas of academics, character, friendly competition, and citizenship. If you missed it, or want to relive the fun, here is the video recording!
- Friday, August 28: *OPTIONAL* Live Review Session during LUNCH (12:06-12:36) Link will be posted in Google Classroom
- Monday, August 31: Science Introduction Test (Test will be DUE by 4pm on Monday).
- Wednesday, Sept. 2: 8th Science Banana DNA Lab (List provided below) It is not mandatory to participate in the lab from home, but it’s more fun!
What We are Learning:
7th Grade: We are finished up with the science introduction unit and will be moving on to learning about cells next week! This is one of my favorite units so I am very excited about it!
8th Grade: We are finished up with the science introduction unit and will be moving on to learning about genes/heredity! This is such a fun unit!
Banana DNA Lab Materials:
- ½ a peeled ripe banana (can also use strawberries)
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp liquid dishwashing soap
- Resealable zip-top bag (quart size)
- Funnel (optional, but helpful)
- Very cold rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) and place in freezer ahead of time
- Coffee filter
- Narrow glass
- Wooden stirrer (optional)
Psychology: Students have been learning about ethical dilemmas in research. Next week they will learn about neurons and how messages are transmitted throughout the body!
Forensics: Students are continuing to learn about the skills necessary for analyzing crime scenes. They will be learning about recording crime scenes as well as crime mapping.
“The first one to say ‘I’m sorry’ wins.” -Cory Asbury
Each week I will share a quick video of what I have been up to besides teaching/prepping! I hope it inspires everyone to take some breaks, get away from the screens, and do what fuels YOU! If you need any suggestions, you can steal any of my ideas. 🙂
Here’s the list so far:
- Play an instrument
- Eat some frozen yogurt and watch the sunset!
- Go for a walk